Excel FollowHyperlink loads URL twice
I'm writing a web app which receives data from Excel 2010 on Windows 7 (64 bit). I'm using a small VBA macro for data upload and web page opening. However, when using
ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink in VBA the website is not opened by my default browser initially (Chrome in my example), but by some MS Office internal Internet Explorer instance. I'm redirecting from this first URL … and my real web browser is called on the redirected URL only. Got it? The header of the first access contains the following user agent:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; ms-office)
The server response with a redirect and the other url is called by the same user agent. At the end this second url is opened with my default browser, which happens to be:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.472.63 Safari/534.3
Unfortunately this is not useful, as I'm setting a cookie at the first request
(where the redirect occurs). I only found an ugly solution using
ShellExecute (so far):
Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long
and then opening the website by:
ShellExecute 0, vbNullString, "http://...", vbNullString, vbNullString, vbNormalFocus
Others seem to have the same problem (http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.programming/browse_thread/thread/3191ab7cbebe38e8). But
ShellExecute really should only be a last resort. Never mind, it's just Microsoft.
cgi multipart bugs in py3k
Recently I started to implement a small web app in py3k and wsgi. While none of the major python web frameworks are ready for py3k anytime soon and wsgi for py3k is still under major discussions (see for example this current post by Armin Ronacher), there are already options to actually start working on the subject.
I'm using bottle (dev tree) and the current releases of sqlalchemy, py-postgresql and jinja2 on Python 3.1.2. This actually works sort of. I will likely write some further posts about my progress. However, I quickly found a bug in the cgi multipart input handling, which actually turned out to arise from two different sources. I tried to solve it and just opened issue 8846 on the Python issue tracker showing my findings.